Wednesday, June 4, 2014

June 4 12:58 pm - "Jared" vs. Microsoft Technical Support

Phone call received from (716) 578-2826... "Jared" vs Microsoft Technical Support (MTS)

Jared: "Hello"
MTS: "Hello. May I speak with Jared please?"
Jared: "Speaking."
MTS: "My name is <indecipherable> and I'm with Microsoft Technical Support."
Jared: "You're with who?"
MTS: "Microsoft Technical Support. I'm calling because our servers are telling us that you have an issue with your Windows PC. Is your copy of Windows Genuine?"
Jared: "Well, in the interest of not incriminating myself, yes."
MTS: "Uh. Well, thanks. Are you by the computer now so that I may walk you through the troubleshooting process?"
Jared: "Is it normal for that code to only get sent to you? I mean Windows warns me about EVERYTHING else."
MTS: "Sir, I assure you that this is a real issue and I would like to help you and ensure that your computer is safe."
Jared: "Yes, and I appreciate you being proactive about it, especially since I don't remember giving Microsoft my phone number. You guys really did your homework, and I really want to be safe. I can't believe my anti-virus, spyware software, and stuff didn't catch this."
MTS: "So you've never gotten a message?"
Jared: "Nope not one. I can't believe that this is happening. While we're fixing that, can you help me with iTunes?"
MTS: "I uh, um"

</endcall>

So, while Microsoft may call you (http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx), I don't think this was legitimate, and thus had a nice little break from sitting in traffic during lunch. If only he could have helped me with my iTunes...

No comments:

Post a Comment